Holiday With History: Trevan House
Trevan House, at the bottom of Dolphin Street, dates back to the early 1700s and was Port Isaac’s original Doctor’s residence, named after Dr. Frederick Trevan (1803 – 1885).
The front of the house is tucked back a little, and is partly obscured by Bark House (where the local fishermen used to “bark” their nets to preserve them) which some have suggested Dr Trevan may have built in front of his house to use the upstairs as a surgery. On the other side, sits Vesta Cottage, which has a date plaque inscribed “A Trevan 1812) over the door.
Dr. Frederick Trevan was born on 24 February 1803, in Port Isaac, the second of ten siblings. His father, John Archer Trevan, was a Customs Officer and the family lived at White House Cottage on Roscarrock Hill overlooking the harbour and believed to be the oldest cottage in the village. Three of the Trevan children became doctors, with Frederick training at St Bartholomew’s Hospital in London before returning to Port Isaac to become the village’s doctor and surgeon – a role that he appeared to fulfil until his death on February 22nd 1885 at the age of 81 in, as in that same year’s census he was listed as the surgeon.
His older brother Matthew Trevan (1799 – 1881) became surgeon of Padstow, and his brother Henry Trevan (1808 – 1880) a Fleet Surgeon in the Royal Navy.
Frederick’s younger brother John Watts Trevan wrote the 'Summary of Memoirs of the Parish of St Endellion prior to the year 1834', perhaps the most comprehensive pre-Victorian historic record of Port Isaac which is now kept at the county records office, Kresen Kernow, in Redruth. In this 333 page manuscript, Trevan details the history of the parish, fishing, mining and commerce; a list of boats and their owners; descriptions of local wrecks 1806-1834, and an alphabetical list of Port Isaac’s inhabitants accompanied by Trevan’s unfiltered comments on each and a map showing where they lived. It also contained 19 watercolour illustrations, and all told, is a remarkable document. The Port Isaac Heritage Group have reproduced it and copies are available to purchase around the village.
Trevan House is a large property for the centre of the Port Isaac – certainly a house rather than a cottage. It has four bedrooms (these days accommodating ten guests) and stretches back from its deceptively modest frontage on Dolphin Street with a large garden that opens onto Middle Street. It certainly would have been one of Port Isaac’s grander residences through the 19th Century, suitably befitting the village’s doctor and surgeon.
Trevan House is centrally located in the historic heart of Port Isaac just steps away from the harbour, beach and eateries. It has car parking, a large garden, and is perfectly suited to large families, multi-generational family holidays, or several families or friends holidaying together.
See More of Trevan House